Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Positively Paleo Friendly "Hummus"

Want to know a secret? I LOVE Hummus!!! No joke...love, love, love it! I can eat it with pita, veggies, on a sandwich, heck I can just eat it straight up with a spoon. I ate waaaay too much hummus over Spring Break and paid dearly with tummy troubles. Paleo means no legumes or beans...I decided to splurge while on vacation...bad idea....very bad idea. This was so not going to work for me...this no hummus thing...I love hummus...so what's a girl to do? Go home and find/create a paleo friendly hummus, that's what!

I immediatley began searching for a paleo friendly hummus and found some really tasty recipes. Most used zuchini instead of chickpeas and while it tasted like hummus (for the most part) it just didn't have that silky smooth, creamy to the max mouth feel of traditional hummus. I am huge on the textural qualities of food and knew there had to be a way to create the silkiness I so adore in hummus.

What veg could I use? I racked my brain and had a Eureka moment...roasted sweet potatoes! Soft, creamy, silky smooth sweet potatoes.

this is really a base recipe for you to creat to suit you tastes. Add more or less garlic...tahini...lemon...you know my motto..."whatever makes you happy".

2 - 2 1/4 cups mashed sweet potatoes (I used two rather large ones)
1 1/2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup organic tahini
juice from one small lemon
pinch kosher salt

Drop garlic into food processor and pulse a couple of times to mince. Add remaining ingredients and process until smooth. Scrape down sides. Taste your hummus and correct seasonings to suit your tastes. Put into a tupperware container and refrigerate  a couple hours to allow flavors to blend. Serve with carrots, celery, zuchini chips, top a burger, the possibilities are endless!

No comments:

Post a Comment