Thursday, October 4, 2012

A Letter From My Heart

I know these bullies will never lay eyes on  this post. I wrote to them as a means of coping with all of the hurt, anger, heart break and dismay I as a parent have been dealing with the past two weeks. Harrison is safe now. We are a strong family and will weather this storm...this too shall pass.

Jeremiah 29:11 has been my go-to verse.

Harrison is going to be okay...actually he will be better than okay :)


Dear Bullies:

 I don’t know you and you don’t know me (which for you is probably a good thing...I am a BIG ASS momma bear).You very well may be one of the many faces I see every day taking my son to school. I don't know your names, where you live or what you want to be when you grow up, what I do know is that two weeks ago ( because of your constant bullying)  my son wanted to end his life. He felt he had no other choice. Your abuse of my son pushed him to his limits and he was simply “done”. As I have found out, being bullied is not new to Harrison. He was also bullied throughout middle school. He never shared this with me or his dad…he didn’t want to worry us.

You use words not fists to batter Harrison. You tell him he is “stupid”…”a retard”…”worthless”…”an idiot”.  You tell Harrison “he’s a loser” and that “nobody wants to be his friend”.  During group work sessions, you tell him to “shut up...no one wants to hear what you have to say”.  These painful words crushed my child’s spirit, took his smile away and nearly took him from his family. SHAME ON YOU!!! SHAME ON YOU!!! SHAME ON YOU!!! You have broken my heart…you have rocked my world…you have made me madder than Hell!!!

You tell Harrison he’s stupid. Have you seen his grades? A’s and B’s, definitely not grades you would expect from someone “stupid”, right? Speaking of grades, how are yours??? You spend so much class time harassing him instead of paying attention; surely your grades have suffered.

The word “retard” comes from your mouth when talking about Harrison. Is Harrison retarded? No, and even if he was…who cares? What I really want to know is where did you receive your medical training and credentials? Only a highly trained medical professional could perform the necessary testing to determine if a person is “retarded”. I doubt you have such expertise.

“Worthless”? Nope, again you are wrong. Harrison‘s value in this life is truly priceless… not only to his family, but to all that have had the privilege to know him. It is your own lack of self-worth that makes you feel it acceptable to bully Harrison.

You insist that Harrison is a “loser” and “nobody wants to be his friend”.  Wrong again! Harrison is most certainly a winner. He always tries to  do the right thing…God is in his heart (just ask his little sister Emily). Harrison is a sensitive, witty, amazing young man. You are the loser because you will never get to call Harrison friend.

Speaking of friends, you claim nobody wants to be Harrison’s friend.  He not only has friends, he has some of the most amazing friends…EVER! When Harrison texted his three best friends to tell them goodbye and of his plan to take his own life, his friends not only begged and pleaded with him, but one of those friends was so afraid for his friends life that he called his own Mom at home. THANK GOD!!! His Mom then called the school and Harrison was pulled from class. I was called in and all of the sadness in my sweet son’s heart spilled out. Do you have any friends like that…friends that would reach out and save your life?

On a final note, my family (yes, even Harrison) has prayed for you. I pray that someday God will enter your heart. I pray that you will no longer speak with an evil tongue, but that words of kindness and beauty will spill from your lips. I pray that maybe just once in your life you will do the right thing…reach out and make a difference in our world.

Thanks for listening.

Rox

No comments:

Post a Comment