Friday, February 25, 2011

Britches & Boots - Go Texan Day 2011


It is Go Texan Day today. A day when school children dress in their finest cowboy/cowgirl duds and giddy on up to school. A day where even the checkout person at Kroger is in boots & jeans...oh and don't forget the hat. We are a proud state (to say the least) My husband teases me about not being born here, but that I got here as fast as I could! I always remind him that I have given birth to three Texans...that should count for something, right?! Go Texan Day is so much more than pulling your boots out of the closet and gearing up for Rodeo. It is a day to remember the rich history of the state we call home.

Chris sent me the following poem a few weeks ago.I loved it and wanted to share it on the blog, but decided to save it for Go Texan Day. I loved what he wrote about our children. Chris is a native Texan...born in Corpus and raised in Houston. He spent his summers frolicking in Wimberley... riding horses, swimming in Blue Hole, eating greasy burgers at The Burger Barn. Crude oil runs through his veins...He is Texas and now enjoys sharing the Texas from his childhood with our children. Our kiddos are the ones frolicking on our property in Wimberley...all three have splashed and laughed in Blue Hole under the towering Cypress trees. They love eating at Burger Barn..where the motto is "Today's Special - Take it or leave it". Chris has high hopes that at least one of our kiddos will make the oil business theirs...and I musn't forget UT Football (Hook 'Em Horns). Chris and I both went to UT and we are truly a burnt orange family. We are Texas. All of us are Texas...Aggies, Longhorns, Horn Frogs and Red Raiders...truly does not matter what flag flies in front of your house... we are all steeped in Texas history and traditions.

I hope you enjoy reading this poem as much as I did!





Thought of our kids when I read this poem. They're Texans, by God. That means something. I would've included one more that went something like.... When threatened, we respond with "Come and take it".



I am Texas.

I am humble beginnings and spectacular finishes.

I am the resting place of countless heroes and the birthplace of innumerable dreams.

I am the echo of long-ago words still ringing in the room where they were spoken.

I am a silent field hallowed by valiant blood.

I am the marker on an empty stretch of highway that lets you know that destiny visited here.

I am the scene of the crime, and the seat where it was brought to justice.

I am the fertile soil from which legends grow.

I am the understanding of what made us what we are, and the hope of what we can become.

I am a reminder to our generation that we stand on the shoulders of giants.

I am a stake driven in the ground that says, “Here we choose to remember and we will never forget.”

I am Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment