Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Pomegranate Eggplant

This is one of my absolute favorite dishes at Fadi's Mediterranean Grill. I have spent YEARS trying to find/create a recipe that was "the one"...I have finally come up with a recipe that is spot on perfect! You can serve this as a dip with pita chips or as a side dish with chicken or fish. It is sooooo yummy and good for you. My daughter Tori loves to fill a pita with it and chow down...which is exactly what she did at lunch today! You will find pom molasses (or syrup) in the international foods isle at HEB or any good international grocery (like Phoenician Market)... Enjoy!

3 medium eggplants
1 medium red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 tbsp olive oil
3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 cup pomegranate molasses
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint


Preheat oven to 350°F. Prick eggplants with a fork and place on rimmed baking sheet. Bake for 1 hour. Place the eggplant on a cutting board and let stand until cool enough to handle. Peel and chop.
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil & saute the onion and garlic until soft and golden brown, about 7 minutes. Add tomatoes,tomato sauce, pomegranate molasses and eggplant, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and mint. Simmer over low heat for another 35 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm or room temp.

2 comments:

  1. Too funny! for years I've come back to your site, I love your Lemon turkey (my fit food recipe) We also love FADI's and this happens to be my husband's favorite meal from there, I came across this post looking for their sautéed eggplant recipe (my personal favorite) but Ill give this a go !

    ReplyDelete