Sunday, March 18, 2012

Grilled Orange Chicken...A New Twist On A Chinese Take-Out Classic

Who doesn't love Orange Chicken??? My kids request it anytime we order Chinese. I found a recipe for a healthier Orange Chicken online recently and since my family is following more of a clean/paleo lifestyle, I tweaked the original and here is the end (cleaner/paleo friendly) result. The hubby and kiddos LOVED it...the only complaint...Tori ran out of yummy orange sauce to dip her chicken into (ooops...my bad)! I served this with roasted vegtables and fresh fruit.




4-6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2 cups orange juice (I used fresh squeezed, but store bought is cool too)
the zest from one large orange
2 tbsp dark sesame oil
4 tbsp soy sauce (I used Tamari Organic & Gluten Free soy)
3 tbsp honey
1 clove garlic, finely minced
pinch red chile flakes*

In a gallon ziploc, combine everything but chicken. Seal and shake to combine, add chicken breasts. Let marinate in fridge 8-24 hours.

When ready to cook, preheat grill to medium high heat. Remove chicken from baggie and grill until cooked through and juices run clear, 18-20 minutes. Turn chicken frequently to prevent burning.

While chicken is grilling, heat reserved marinade in a medium saucepan to a boil, reduce heat to simmer and cook until sauce is reduced and thickened, 10 minutes or so.

When chicken is cooked through remove from grill and brush a bit of the sauce over chicken. Serve with remaining sauce (my kids used it as dipping sauce). Enjoy!

*Chile flakes are optional...for no heat omit flakes...if you prefer more heat, add more flakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment