Thursday, December 3, 2009

Pot Roast Even Your Pickiest Eaters Will Eat!

1 Beef Eye of Round Roast 21/2 - 3 lbs
Olive Oil
Coarse salt
Fresh ground pepper
Season Salt
Italian Seasoning
Garlic powder
1 lb bag baby carrots
5-6 potatoes-peeled & quartered
1 or 2 packets of McCormick brown gravy mix
Sherry

Heat a couple tblsp olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Pat roast dry and drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Sprinkle roast with season salt, pepper, garlic powder and italian seasoning...I have never measured how much I use...just season to your liking. Sear roast in skillet until browned on all sides. Put roast into crock pot or dutch oven if your oven has slow cook mode. In large bowl, toss carrots and potaoes with pepper & coarse salt...again, I don't measure. Pile potatoes and carrots around roast. Slow cook on low heat 8 hrs or on high 5 hours or unitl meat is tender when pulled with a fork.
When roast is done, remove from crock pot/dutch oven and shred meat into large pieces (if you have ever eaten my roast you know what I mean) and place on platter; remove potatoes & carrots. To the liquid that is in the crock pot/dutch oven, add enough water to make 2 cups liquid. Add a packet of gravy mix and 2 tblsp sherry; return to high heat for crock pot or med hi heat on stove top, if using dutch oven. Stir until gravy is thickened. Return roast and veg to crock, making sure to cover roast with gravy. Let sit 5-10 minutes and serve.

In the ingrediants list, I said 1-2 packets gravy mix...if you want more gravy, add enough water to make 3 cups liquid total and use both gravy packets. Do not increase the amt of sherry though (trust me).

I hope this "recipe" makes sense. I have been making this roast for my entire marriage and have never written it down...so my apologoies if it seems disjointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment